Airdrie 1, Peterhead 1: Diamonds set club record as they go into play-off crunch

Airdrie set a new club record of 20 games unbeaten as they head into the Championship play-off semi-finals next week, but were far from on form.

it took a Si Ferry own-goal on the hour-mark to level Grant Savoury’s spectacular opener on the stroke of half-time, and the Diamonds just didn’t really get going.

However, that record is all that matters, and they will have all of their big-hitters back for the clash in Montrose on Tuesday evening.

Peterhead took the lead just before the interval through Grant Savoury, but a Si Ferry own-goal levelled things for Airdrie, before Scott Brown put a penalty over the bar for the visitors.

That already made it a second half that was much more interesting than the first had been.

After a fairly even first half, Peterhead took the lead on the stroke of half-time when Savoury let fly with an effort from 20 yards that flew into the right corner via the left post.

While the visitors had their moments, Airdrie had dominated the first half, but simply not done enough with their chances, putting one wide through Dean Ritchie.

As it was, Airdrie’s Kyle MacDonald and Peterhead’s Scott Brown were the only players to have a serious shot on goal each, as the game was played very much in the spirit of an end-of-season clash.

Airdrie drew level and Peterhead missed a penalty in the second half, but there still wasn’t actually too much happening.

Kyle MacDonald had a shot well held in the first half
Kyle MacDonald had a shot well held in the first half

Airdrie boss Ian Murray made seven changes to the side that thrashed Clyde 5-0 last weekend. Goalkeeper Jay Cantley came in for Max Currie, while Dean Ritchie, Scott Walker, Matty McDonald, Gabby McGill, Scott McGill and Jon Afolabi came in for Callum Fordyce, Brody Paterson, Rhys McCabe, Dylan Easton, Calum Gallagher and Callum Smith – clearly with an eye on that play-off.

Scott Agnew took charge of the team, while Murray served a touchline ban.

His Peterhead counterpart made three changes to his line-up in their 1-0 win over East Fife. Flynn Duffy, Gary Fraser and Hamish Ritchie came in for Shaun Want, Owen Cairns and Andrew McCarthy.

More sports news from across Lanarkshire

Airdrie created the first chance in eight minutes when Devenny’s free kick was knocked on by McDonald but Ritchie volleyed just past the right post.

The Diamonds had an other go six minutes later, but Kyle MacDonald’s fierce effort from 20 yards was well held by Brett Long.

Peterhead showed their menace in 20 minutes when Hamish Ritchie’s cross/shot was slapped away by keeper Jay Cantley.

And on 31 minutes Scott Brown saw a curling shot well taken at the right post.

It took another 10 minutes before there was a chance of note, and it fell to Airdrie, with McDonald’s cross from the right just too far ahead of Jordan Allan, sliding in.

But Peterhead took the lead on the stroke of half-time when Ritche’s corner reached Savoury and he tried a shot from distance that flew past Cantley, struck the left post and bounced into the opposite corner.

Jon Afolabi went close before Airdrie's leveller
Jon Afolabi went close before Airdrie’s leveller

Airdrie tried their luck in 52 minutes with a Devenny free kick from just outside the right corner of the box, but while well struck, was comfortably taken.

Peterhead went close in 52 minutes when Brown’s fierce effort from just outside the box was well blocked by Josh Kerr.

Airdrie went close again in 59 minutes but Jon Afolabi’s shot was well blocked by Long on the right.

The Diamonds levelled in 60 minutes when McDonald’s shot was deflected off Si Ferry into his own net.

No sooner than that had happened, though, when Peterhead were awarded a penalty in bizarre circumstances.

Niah Payne took the ball past Kerr on the right, who fell, and the referee pointed to the spot, but Brown put the penalty over the bar.

Peterhead tried to regain their lead with five minutes to go, but Alan Cook’s deflected effort was well taken by Cantley at the bottom left corner.

AIRDRIE: Cantley, Walker, MacDonald, Kerr, Ritchie (Agnew, 66), Allan, S. McGill, Devenny, McDonald, Afolabi, G. McGill.

Subs (not used): Currie (GK), Paterson, Fordyce, McCabe, Gallagher, Easton, Smith.

Bookings: Devenny (90)

PETERHEAD: Long, Duffy (Conroy, 77), Quitongo, Fraser (Lyle, 73), McDonald, Ferry, Ritchie (Jordon Brown, 77), S. Brown, Payne (Cook, 73), Savoury, Jack Brown (Duncan, 55).

Subs (not used): Wilson (GK), Cairns, Strachan.

Bookings: Quitongo (21), McDonald (52)

Referee: Gavin Duncan.

All the latest sport news in Lanarkshire

Follow Lanarkshire Live Sport onTwitter via@LanLiveSport, like us onFacebookor find us onInstagramfor the latest sports news, pictures and video.

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.